First, you’ll want to find the discussion you wish to post in by clicking the discussions tab on your left hand menu.
Once you find the discussion you wish to post in, you can begin!
To post in a discussion on Canvas:
- To start your post, click the reply button and then the text editor box will display allowing you to create your post.
- Use the toolbar to add formatting to your post.
- Type your reply in the text editor. Use the right sidebar to link your reply to any course content. On the Links tab students can link to content within the course. On the Files tab students can link to content in course files and on the Image tab students can embed images within reply post that are in the course files area.
- Click Attach to add an attachment to the reply.
- To make the rich content editor box bigger click and drag the handle in lower right corner.
- Click Post Reply when done.
*If you need to paste embed code from another site, click HTML Editor to paste code.
In a focused discussion, you may find that other classmates will often reply to your post, just as you can reply to theirs. Sometimes you will need to post a reply in order to see other replies in a Discussion. If you cannot see the other responses, make sure you have posted to the Discussion. In some instances You may see “Replies are only visible to those who have posted at least one reply.” Post a reply to the Discussion first, to view the other posts.
To reply to a post in a discussion on Canvas:
- To start, go to the post within the discussion you wish to post your reply in.
- Press the reply button and you should see a text box indented beneath the original post
- In the text box, you can add any media, links or files and format your reply how you wish.
- Once finished with the reply, you can press the blue button on the bottom right of the text box that will say ‘Post reply‘.